The Pros and Cons of Replacing Your Roof During Winter
December 05, 2016 at 9:20 AM
In a relatively mild climate like Charlotte’s, there’s really no “bad” time of year to replace your roof. Winter, in fact, can be a good time to replace your roof, contrary to popular belief! Like any time of year, there are pros and cons.
Here are a few things to consider about replacing your roof in winter.
There are a lot of good reasons to replace your roof during winter! Here are a few you can count on:
- Get a new roof faster. Fall and spring are, naturally, the most popular times to replace a roof. Winter is typically the slowest season for roofers, so if you call you’ll likely wait less and get a faster turnaround on your new roof. Just don’t call right after a snowstorm or following a heavy winter rain!
- Pricing might be better. It’s not a given, but many professional roofers are able to source materials and slightly lower prices, and pass those savings on to you. Ask your roofer about any winter specials they may have on a new roofing system.
- Be ready for spring’s rains (and home selling season). Because Charlotte’s winter weather isn’t typically that bad, your roof needs more fortification for spring’s moisture than winter’s chill. Replacing it in the cold season gets you ready for those April showers and for spring showings, if you’re thinking of selling!
There are, of course, a few downsides to replacing your roof in winter as opposed to a warmer season. These include:
- Shingles take longer to seal. Asphalt shingles, one of the most common materials for new Charlotte roofs, take longer to seal in winter. Thankfully, we usually have enough mild days in a row even in winter to activate the seal strip, and your roof is typically several degrees warmer than the air temperature, too, especially if there’s sun.
- Conditions might be more treacherous. Depending on the weather, conditions might actually be too treacherous during the coldest stretches to do the physical work of roof replacement. If it’s icy, consistently rainy, or if your roof is covered in rare snow, you may have to wait until conditions improve to replace your roof.
Questions about whether or not now’s the time to replace your roof? H&S Roofing and Gutter Company has years of experience replacing Charlotte roofs in all seasons. We’ll help you determine when the best time is for you to get a new roof!